1819 - 1869 (49 years)
||William Bowyer Shelley [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8] |
||2 Aug 1819
||Chetton, Shropshire Co, England
||Bridgnorth, Shropshire Co, England
||Claverley, Shropshire Co, England
||2 Feb 1851
||Liverpool, Lancashire Co, England
|54th Company, Elder Geo. D. Watt, "Ellen Maria"; Apostle Orson Pratt returned on this voyage |
||6 Apr 1851
||New Orleans, Orleans Co, Louisiana, USA
|Arrived on the "Ellen Maria" |
||26 Sep 1860
||Lake City, Utah Co, Utah Territory, USA
||2 Feb 1869
||American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA
||7 Feb 1869
||American Fork City Cemetery, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA
||2 Jan 2009 |
||James Bowyer Shelley, b. 7 Jan 1792, Chetton, Shropshire Co, England , d. 19 Nov 1870, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA (Age 78 years) |
||Elizabeth Bray, b. 21 Oct 1795, Abdon, Shropshire Co, England , d. 13 Apr 1851, Mississippi River (Near Memphis), Shelby Co, Tennessee, USA (Age 55 years) |
||19 Mar 1817
||All Saints Church, Neenton, Shropshire Co, England 
- MARRIAGE: One source lists marriage date as 30 Mar 1818.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Jane Elizabeth Dunn, b. 8 May 1827, Averly, Shropshire Co, England , d. 28 May 1901, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA (Age 74 years) |
||10 Nov 1845
||Bridgnorth, Shropshire Co, England
| ||1. William Shelley, b. 7 May 1846, Claverley, Shropshire Co, England , d. 8 Dec 1864 (Age 18 years)|
|+||2. Hannah Shelley, b. 19 Jul 1847, Bobbington, Shropshire Co, England , d. 1 Apr 1914 (Age 66 years)|
|+||3. Stephen Shelley, b. 14 Feb 1849, Bobbington, Shropshire Co, England , d. 11 Aug 1921 (Age 72 years)|
| ||4. John Lyon Shelley, b. 6 Nov 1850, Bobbington, Shropshire Co, England , d. 27 Apr 1852 (Age 1 years)|
|+||5. Samuel Levi Shelley, b. 2 Dec 1852, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah Territory, USA , d. 14 Feb 1936, Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete Co, Utah, USA (Age 83 years)|
| ||6. George Heber Shelley, b. 31 Mar 1854, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA , d. 30 Jan 1862 (Age 7 years)|
|+||7. Jane Elizabeth Shelley, b. 8 Jan 1856, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah Territory, USA , d. 21 Feb 1892, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA (Age 36 years)|
|+||8. Joseph Moroni Dunn Shelley, b. 14 May 1858, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah Territory, USA , d. 10 Dec 1929 (Age 71 years)|
|+||9. Ellen Mary Shelley, b. 6 Feb 1860, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA , d. 5 Jun 1926, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA (Age 66 years)|
| ||10. James Boyer Shelley, b. 26 Nov 1861, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA , d. 15 Apr 1912 (Age 50 years)|
|+||11. Sarah Ann Shelley, b. 8 Sep 1863, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA , d. 25 May 1939 (Age 75 years)|
|+||12. David Edward Shelley, b. 17 Apr 1865, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA , d. 16 Mar 1940 (Age 74 years)|
| ||13. Emmaline Shelley, b. 23 Jul 1868, American Fork, Utah Co, Utah, USA , d. 8 Aug 1868 (Age 0 years)|
||13 Apr 2007 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Family Portrait [~1868]|
Portrait, circa 1868, of the William Bowyer Shelley & Jane Elizabeth DUNN Shelley family. Back Row are standing, left to right, Joseph, Samuel, Stephen, Hannah, Jane, and Ellen. Front row are, form left to right, James, Sarah Ann sitting on her father's lap, and David Edward sitting on his mother's lap. The photo was taken just before William Bowyer Shelley died. Scan provided by Don D. Shelley
Portrait of William Bowyer Shelley & Jane Elizabeth DUNN Shelley. Scan provided by Don D. Shelley.
Photocopy of photos of William Bowyer Shelley & Jane DUNN WHEELER Shelley
Photo of William Bowyer Shelley & Jane Elizabeth DUNN Shelley, scanned by Don D. Shelley. It is unknown who has the original photo
||Claverley Village [19 Feb 2006]|
Photo of Claverley Village, including All Saints Church, at Shropshire. This village was the home of the James Bowyer Shelley & Elizabeth BRAY family. Photo by Geoff Pick, courtesy of Geograph. Used by permission
||1860 U.S. Census [26 Sep 1860, p 1]|
Lake City, Utah, Utah - William Bowyer Shelley & Thomas Shelley families
||1841 British Census|
1841 British Census - Farmcott, Claverley, Shropshire - James Bowyer Shelley family
||Ellen Maria Passenger Manifest [7 Apr 1851]]|
Passenger List of the Ellen Maria, arriving New Orleans 7 Apr 1851 (some reports indicate 6 Apr 1851) from Liverpool. Onboard were the "Jas Shelley" (Jas, Elizth, Thomas, James, John, Joseph, Sarah) and "William Shelley" (William, Jane, William Hanna, Stephen, Jno) families. Also onboard was George Holyoak (003979.jpg). Research by Chad G. Nichols
||Biographical Sketch of William Boyer Shelley|
Biographical Sketch of William Boyer Shelley, by Mary Elizabeth June SHELLEY Wright (granddaughter). Original in possession of and scanned by Ken Wright.
Headstone of William Bowyer Shelley and Jane D. Wheeler
- MARRIAGE: One family group sheet lists wife as "Jane Bristow," married 10 Nov 1845.
- [S756] Nichols Online Library, Digital Documents Researched and Scanned by Chad Nichols & Relatives, Nichols, Chad G., (Catalogue of over 40,000 relatives with more than 5,000 of them having documentation to support their place in the family tree. Some recent generation surnames include Anderson, Broman, Campbell, Cloward, Conder, Dutson, Ericksen, Farmer, Holyoak, Kump, Kylen, Mendenhall, Nichols, Nielson, O'Donnell, Richardson, Roberts, Shelley, Stone, and Walker. Most ancestors are from England, Denmark, Sweden, and Germany.
7783 S 4950 W
West Jordan, UT 84081
USA) (Reliability: 3).
1841 British Census - 002940
Ellen Maria Passenger List - 003978
1860 U.S. Census - 001316
Photos - 001261, 001262, 003633
Grave Marker - 000564
Biographical Sketch - 004961
- [S57] 1841 England Census [database online], Ancestry.com, (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006. Original data: Census Returns of England and Wales, 1841. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO), 1841. Data imaged from the National Archives, London, England. The 1841 Census for England was taken on the night of 6 June 1841), P 22 (Reliability: 3).
Farmcott, Claverley, Shropshire: James Shelley Household:--James, age 45, Farmer--Elizabeth, age 45--William, age 20--James, age 13--John, age 10--Joseph, age 7--Sarah, age 2
- [S283] Mormon Immigration Index ©, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department., (Salt Lake City : Genealogical Society of Utah, 2000 [CD-ROM]) (Reliability: 3).
54th Company, Elder Geo. D. Watt, "Ellen Maria": departed Liverpool, England 1 Feb 1851; arrived New Orleans, Louisiana 7 Apr 1851; departed New Orleans 9 Apr 1851 on the steamer "Alexander Scott," arrived St. Louis, Missouri 16 Apr 1851; Family passengers: James Bowyer Shelley, age 59; Elizabeth BRAY Shelley, age 55; William Bowyer Shelley, age 31; George Holyoak Jr, age 31; Thomas Shelley, age 29; Janes Elizabeth DUNN Shelley, age 23; Charlotte ELSMORE Shelley, age 22; James Shelley, age 22; John Shelley, age 19; Joseph Henry Shelley, age 16; Sarah Shelley, age 10; William Shelley, age 4; Hannah Shelley, age 3; Stephen Shelley, age 2; John Lyon Shelley, infant
- [S241] Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel Index, 1847-1868 ©, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Salt Lake City, UT : 2004-2007 [online] http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/library This index is the most complete listing of individuals and companies in which Mormon pioneer emigrants traveled west to Utah from 1847 through 1868. It is an incomplete listing, as rosters have not been found for all companies. It also identifies sources to learn more about the experiences of each company.) (Reliability: 3).
James W. Cummings Company with about 150 individuals and 100 wagons departed their outfitting post at Keokuk, Iowa arriving at the Salt Lake Valley between 30 Sep and 7 Oct 1851; Lists James Bowyer Shelley (age 59), William Hendricks Shelley (age 32), Thomas Shelley (age 29), Martha Shelley (age 26), James Shelley (age 23), John Shelley (age 20), Joseph Henry Shelley (age 15), & Sarah Shelley (age 11)
- [S408] 1860 United States Federal Census, United States. Census Office. 8th Census, 1860, (Washington [District of Columbia] : The National Archives, [19--]
Microfilm of original records in the National Archives, Washington, D.C.), PG 371 (Reliability: 3).
Lake City, Utah, Utah; Lists "Wm Shelly," age 40, "Farmer," value of real estate "350," value of personal estate "500," birthplace England
- [S394] Personal Research & Library, Don D. Shelley, Shelley, Don D. (Reliability: 3).
- [S74] Personal Research & Library, Bev M. Matheson, Matheson, Beverly M., ([online] bevmatheson # comcast.net (change # for @)) (Reliability: 3).
Lists alternative baptism 5 Mar 1849
- [S415] Ancestral File (R), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998).
- [S766] England Marriages, 1700-1900, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The, ([database online] FamilySearch Record Search) (Reliability: 3).
James Shelley md. Elizabeth Bray
1818 Neenton, Shropshire
Batch M01738-2, England-VR, FHL 992331
(Research by Chad G. Nichols)