Abt 1732 - Abt 1798 (~ 66 years)
||Johan Philip Bentzel [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] |
||Philip Bentzel |
||1779 to 1782
||Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania, USA
||Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania, USA
||3 Jul 2007 |
||Johannes Bentzel, b. Abt 1704, Mentz, Palatinate, Germany , d. From 12 Jan 1770 to 12 Feb 1770, York Co, Pennsylvania (Age ~ 66 years) |
||Maria Sophia, b. Abt 1704, Palatinate, Germany , d. Oct 1789, York Co, Pennsylvania, USA (Age ~ 85 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Juliana Elizabeth Hentz, b. 6 Dec 1724, Kussel, Zweibrucken, Germany , d. Yes, date unknown |
| ||1. Anna Barbara Bentzel, b. 17 Jun 1762, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||2. Johannes "John" Bentzel, b. 11 Feb 1765, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania , d. 20 Jan 1836, Danville, Vermilion Co, Illinois, USA (Age 70 years)|
| ||3. Elizabeth Margaretta Bentzel, b. 8 Nov 1766, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||4. Maria Sophia Bentzel, b. 31 May 1768, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. Philip Bentzel, c. 16 Jun 1771, Strayers Salem Lutheran Church, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania, USA , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||6. Baltzer Bentzel, b. 28 May 1774, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania , d. Bef 26 Feb 1852, Stark Co, Ohio, USA (Age 77 years)|
| ||7. Catherine Bentzel, b. Abt 1777, Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania, USA , d. Yes, date unknown|
|+||8. Leonard Bentzel, b. 8 Nov 1783, York, York Co, Pennsylvania, USA , d. 1826, Chilicothe, , Ohio, USA (Age 42 years)|
| ||9. Mary Bentzel|
| ||10. Sally Bentzel, b. 27 May 1788, d. Yes, date unknown|
||13 Apr 2007 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Tax Lists Abstract|
York Co, Pennsylvania: Abstract of Bentzels found in York County Tax Lists between 1779 and 1782; Philip Bentzel and Henry Bentzel are the only Bentzels found in these tax lists; Abstract transcribed by Florence I. Gallagher
||Brief Family History|
Brief family history of Johannes Bentzel & sons Johan Philip & Baltzer Andrew
- BIRTH-SPOUSE: Information received from James A. Bensyl, Box 181, Odgen, Ill 61859 17 Mar 2000 in the form of a descendency chart of 43 pages. See page 1
BIRTH: It is possible Johan Philip's birth was about 1749 as his father makes mention in his will (written 1769) that John Philip should receive compensation for each year above his 21st year, speaking as if John Philip had not yet reached the age of 21. This would interpret that John Philip was born at or after 1749.
RESIDENCE: Philip is listed in the Tax Lists of Dover Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania in 1779, 1780, 1781, and 1782. Philip is also listed in the tax list of 1781 at Manchester Twp, York Co, Pennsylvania. From 1779 to 1782 Philip's Dover Twp farm changed size from 150 acres to 120, whilst picking up 60 acres at Manchester Twp; Philip is listed with his oldest son, John, in Virginia between 1792 and 1796. This area is now Jefferson County, West Virginia (2005). Presumably he died there around 1797 or 1798.
- [S756] Nichols Online Library, Digital Documents Researched and Scanned by Chad Nichols & Relatives, Nichols, Chad G., (Catalogue of over 40,000 relatives with more than 5,000 of them having documentation to support their place in the family tree. Some recent generation surnames include Anderson, Broman, Campbell, Cloward, Conder, Dutson, Ericksen, Farmer, Holyoak, Kump, Kylen, Mendenhall, Nichols, Nielson, O'Donnell, Richardson, Roberts, Shelley, Stone, and Walker. Most ancestors are from England, Denmark, Sweden, and Germany.
7783 S 4950 W
West Jordan, UT 84081
USA) (Reliability: 3).
Family History - 001587; Tax Lists Abstract (1779-1782) - 002126
- [S403] Personal Research & Library, Charles Rice, Rice, Charles, ([email] sanookdi # hotmail.com) (Reliability: 3).
Listed in the "Bentzel" family forum the following: "Johann Phillip Bentzel (always called just Phillip Bentzel) was in Dover when the family farm was sold in 1790. Then from 1792 to 1796 he is listed with his oldest son John in VA, presumably dying there around 1797-98. (The area is now part of Jefferson Co., WVA.) Phillip's widow died in Frederick Co., MD no doubt living with one of her children. John Bentzel, Phillip's son, died in Danville, Vermillion Co., Illinois on 20 Jan 1836, leaving a will. He was buried in the Old Cemetery at Danville."
- [S401] Mid-Atlantic Roots Network: FamilyHart - Pennsylvania Dutch Genealogy Family Pages & Database, Hartman, Don & Jeanine, ([online] http://midatlantic.rootsweb.com; [email] familyhrt # aol.com (change # for @)) (Reliability: 3).
Lists name variation as "Philip Bentzel"
- [S609] Bentzel: My Family Tree, Gallagher, Florence I. & Bentzel Family Reunion Members, (Never published, rough draft copy dated 5 Aug 1973 in possession of Chad G. Nichols), P 21 (Reliability: 3).
Philip Bentzel, son of Johannes and Sophi Bentzel.... He migrated to American and arrived at the Port of Baltimore in 1745. He made his home in York Co., Pennsylvania. Name of ship and exact date of arrival at Baltimore unknown.... We assume he married a Haintz in America (perhaps Germany) from several baptismal records of their children which we have found. Philip was taxed in Dover Township, York Co., Penna. in the years 1779, 1780, 1781 and 1782; also in Manchester Township, York County, Pa. in the yar 1781. He is called 'John Philip' in his father's will. We assume that he either lived with or nearby his parents and in their old age looked after them, particularly at the time of his father's death. He was given a certain sum of money for each year after he was 21 years of age for taking care of his mother. For this reason, since he was living in the same county in Penna. as his parents we come to the conclusion that he was taking care of them. When his father's plantation was sold on 13 March 1790, after his mother's death, he was living in Dover Township, York Co., Pa. As to his children - we have located baptismal records....
Short biographical sketch of Philip Bentzel's life; Lists 5 children: Anna Barbara (b.1762), Johannes (b.1765), Elizabeth (b.1766), Maria Sophia (b.1768), & Philip (b.1771); Also lists a Thomas (d.1810) who may be a son of Philip & Maria
- [S631] Pennsylvania Archives, Third Series, Egle, William Henry M.D., (Harrisburg, PA : 1896 Clarence M. Busch, State Printer), V 21, PP 59, 158, 369, 456, 586 (Reliability: 3).
1779 at Dover, York, Pennsylvania: Philip Bentzel, 150 acres, 2 horses, 3 cattle, tax 37.10.0; also listed is Philip's brother, Henry; 1780 at Dover, York, Pennsylvania: Philip Bentzel, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 cattle, tax 30.0.0; 1781 at Manchester, York, Pennsylvania: Philip Bentzel, 60 acres, tax 18.9; 1781 at Dover, York, Pennsylvania: Philip Bentzel, 120 acres, 2 horses, 2 cattle, tax 2.10.8; 1782 at Dover, York, Pennsylvania: Philip Bentzel, 120 acres, 2 horses, 4 cattle, tax 5.2.0