1872 - 1885 (13 years)
||Joseph Wilson [3, 4, 5] |
||18 May 1872
||Unstone, Derbyshire Co, England
||Bolsover, Derbyshire Co, England
|1881 England Census |
||12 Apr 1882
||Liverpool, Lancashire Co, England
|Elder John Donaldson Company on the Nevada |
||24 Apr 1882
||New York City, New York Co, New York, USA
|Elder John Donaldson Company on the Nevada |
||9 Aug 1885
||Jasper or Polk Co, Iowa, USA
||9 Aug 1885
||Woodland Cemetery, Des Moines, Polk Co, Iowa, USA
||9 Mar 2009 |
||John D. Wilson, b. 31 Dec 1845, Ibstock, Leicestershire Co, England , d. 25 Jun 1888, Almy, Uinta Co, Wyoming, USA (Age 42 years) |
||Ann Robinson, b. 29 Mar 1845, Coalville, Leicestershire Co, England , d. 20 Apr 1883, Des Moines, Polk Co, Iowa, USA (Age 38 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
Photo of the Nevada, a Guion Line steamship that carried four groups of our ancestors on three separate voyages: The Wilson family in 1882 from Liverpool to New York City; Thomas Nichols from Liverpool to New York City in 1884; George Nichols from Liverpool to Jersey City in 1885. The NEVADA was a 3,121 gross ton ship, built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne for the Guion Line of Liverpool. She was 345.6 feet (length) x 43.4 feet (beam), straight stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. She launched on 17 Oct 1868. She sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on 2 Feb 1869. In 1881 she was fitted with compound engines by G. Forrester & Co, Liverpool and her tonnage increased to 3,617. She collided with and sank the Wilson Liner ROMANO in the North Atlantic on 3 May 1884, and commenced her last Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyage on 13 May 1893. In 1894 she went to the Dominion Line who renamed her HAMILTON. She commenced sailings from Avonmouth to Quebec and Montreal on 28 Apr 1894 and started her fifth and last round voyage on this service on 22 Sep 1894. In 1896 she was scrapped in Italy [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.709]. The Nevada made 35 voyages with Mormon passengers. Photo scanned by Chad G. Nichols
||Nevada Passenger Manifest (partial) [24 Apr 1882]|
Partial passenger manifest of the Nevada, a ship carrying Mormon immigrants from England to the United States via Liverpool. Onboard was the Anne ROBINSON Wilson family
||1881 England Census|
1881 England Census of the John Wilson household at Bolsover, Derbyshire Co. Research by Chad G. Nichols
Headstone of Anne ROBINSON Wilson, Joseph Wilson, and Mary Ann WILSON James at Woodland Cemetery, Des Moines, Iowa. Courtesy of Katie Lou, findagrave.com
Plot: Block 15
- BURIAL: Findagrave.com records Woodland Cemetery at Des Moines, Polk Co, Iowa, however Wilson records show the cemetery at Newton, Jasper Co, Iowa
- [S756] Nichols Online Library, Digital Documents Researched and Scanned by Chad Nichols & Relatives, Nichols, Chad G., (Catalogue of over 40,000 relatives with more than 5,000 of them having documentation to support their place in the family tree. Some recent generation surnames include Anderson, Broman, Campbell, Cloward, Conder, Dutson, Ericksen, Farmer, Holyoak, Kump, Kylen, Mendenhall, Nichols, Nielson, O'Donnell, Richardson, Roberts, Shelley, Stone, and Walker. Most ancestors are from England, Denmark, Sweden, and Germany.
7783 S 4950 W
West Jordan, UT 84081
USA) (Reliability: 3).
1881 England Census - 004970
Nevada Passenger Manifest - 003420
Ship Nevada - 002184
Grave Marker - 004989
- [S537] 1881 England Census [database online], Ancestry.com & The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. 1881 British Isles Census Index provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints © Copyright 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. Original data: Census Returns of England and Wales, 1881. Kew, Surrey, England: The National Archives of the UK (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO), 1881. Images © Crown copyright. Images reproduced by courtesy of The National Archives, London, England. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. The 1881 British Isles Census was taken on the night of 3 April 1881) (Reliability: 3).
St. Mary Parish, Bolsover, Derbyshire:
John Willson, Head, Mar, 36, Coal Miner, b. Ibstock, Leicestershire
Ann Willson, Wife, Do, 37, b. Coalville Packington Do
Mary Ann Do, Daughter, 11, Scholar, b. Do Do
Joseph Do, Son, 8, Do, b. Unstone, Derbyshire
George Do, Do, 6, Do, b. Do Do
[Research by Chad G. Nichols]
- [S283] Mormon Immigration Index ©, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department., (Salt Lake City : Genealogical Society of Utah, 2000 [CD-ROM]) (Reliability: 3).
Elder John Donaldson Company on the Nevada departed Liverpool 12 Apr 1882, arrived New York City 24 Apr 1882; lists Anne Wilson (age 38), Mary Anne Wilson (age 10), Joseph Wilson (age 8), & George Wilson (age 5)
- [S276] Passenger Manifest (Reliability: 3).
New York City, New York Co, New York - Anne ROBINSON Wilson family:
--Ann Wilson, age 58, Wife, England, Steerage
--Mary A, age 10, Child, ", "
--Geo, age 5, ", ", "
--Josh, age 8, ", ", "
- [S418] Personal Research & Library, Lois W. McMahan, McMahan, Lois W., ([email] lmcmahan9896 # msn.com, Lois inherited the database and records of H. Marian Haskett) (Reliability: 3).
1881 British Cen Bolsover, Derby, Eng FHL film 1341822 ProRef RG11
piece 3439 folio 44 p 6. age 8, b Ullerstone,Derby,Eng
Cert copy of Birth CH 291967 reg Chesterfield, b in sub/dist of Dronfield, in Derby Co.
#477 1877, gives parents' names and mother formerly Robinson; father coal miner.
w/ mother, Mary A., Joseph, and George sailed on ship Nevada Apr
1882 from Sheffield. Landed New York BMR Bk #1042, p 331 (FHL # 025,693)
Wrote DesMoines, IA Dept of Health 20 Jul 1979 for d cert. Could not locate a d cert for him.
Letter from Custodian of Woodland Cem., 2019 Woodland Ave., Des Moines, IA re: Lot 7 Block 15
gives burial date
"Wilson Family History" by Leah Perry Wilson