eAncestry.org
=- Collaborative Genealogical Research -=
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

 Bosbury Church, Bosbury, Herefordshire, England


Notes:
The Bosbury Parish Church played an important role in the lives of our Haffield and Bingham ancestors. This church was built the later part of the twelfth century and beginning of the thirteenth century. It is an ancient stone building dedicatd to the Holy Trinity and consisted of a chancel, nave of six bays, and north and south aisles. A perpendicular chantry chapel was added to the east end of the south aisle in the sixteenth century by Sir Rowland Morton. There are a north and south entrance to this church. The south entrance is through an open timber-work porch, rising from side stone walls. It was built during the fifteenth century. The north entrance is through a simple circular-headed doorway without a porch. As of 1891 the roof of the nave was lofty with open timber, but without support required modification. Each rafter was trussed. The roof of the chancel was probably open timber but was also enclosed. The tower is detached from the church itself and stands sicty feet south of the chapel. The tower was built at the beginning of the thirteenth century and had a spire until 1812 when it was removed and replaced with a low pediment roof and a weather vane. Four of the six bells in the tower list the dates 1632, 1640, 1660, and 1681 [Research by Nel Lo H. Basset, Our Dutson Heritage]