The Newark/Kennett Meeting is located east of Kennett Square on Hwy 1. The meeting was founded by George Harlan in 1682, authorized by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting in 1686. In 1687 Valentine Hollingsworth gave 1/2 acre for a burial ground. At that time the meeting was called "New Work," after Hollingsworth's plantation. Kennett Meeting was established in 1710. At the time of the Pennsylvania/Delaware boundary separation Newark Meeting was located in Brandywine Hundred in New Castle County, Delaware. In 1760 Newark became part of Kennett Meeting.